Worship, prayer, experiencing God’s presence and receiving revelation from the Word are times in my Christian walk that I forever treasure. The best times of my life have been these times with God and the time that I spend with my family. I would not trade these for the world. When the Lord speaks to you during your meditation upon His Word, you come away with your spirit so full of His presence and His Word. Every part of your being rises up to respond to that revelation in wonder and adoration and rest, which just validates the fact that man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.
When we consider the manifest presence of the Lord, we ought to realise that His manifest presence brings different results to different people. We know that there are two basic categories of people in this world – those who are of God and those who are under the control of the wicked one (1John5:19). Within the church too, the Bible describes different categories of people –
Wheat and tares
Spiritual and carnal
Vessels of honour and vessels of dishonour
Those who call on God from a pure heart and those with an impure heart
Godly and those with a form of godliness
In the Spirit and in the flesh
Approved and disapproved
Lets look at what the Lord’s presence does to different people –
1. Exodus 14:19,20 “And the angel of God, who went before the camp of Israel, moved and went behind them; and the pillar of cloud went from before them and stood behind them. So it came between the camp of the Egyptians and the camp of Israel. Thus it was a cloud and darkness to one and it gave light by night to the other, so that the one did not come near the other all that night.” The presence of God brought light and assurance to Israel but darkness and confusion to the Egyptians.
2. Isaiah 8:14 “He will be as a sanctuary but a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense to both the houses of Israel, as a trap and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.” The presence of God was a sanctuary to some and a stumbling stone, offense, trap and snare to others.
3. 1 Corinthians 11:29,30 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgement to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep.” The presence of God in communion brings blessing, strength, health and long life to some, while bringing judgement, weakness, sickness and premature death to others.
4. 1 Corinthians 1:18,23, 24 ” For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God. But we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.” The cross, message about Jesus and presence of God in Jesus Christ is salvation to some and a stumbling block and foolishness to others.
5. 2 Thessalonians 1:9 “These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of His power when He comes to be glorified in his saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed.” Psalm 68:1-3 shows us that the wicked perish at the presence of God, while the righteous are glad and rejoice in God’s presence. The presence of God brings glory to some and punishment and destruction to others.
The Anti-Christ will be consumed by the breath of Christ’s mouth and be destroyed by the brightness of Christ’s appearing 2Thess2:8.
As we read this, may we be filled with reverence for God. May the Spirit of the fear of the Lord keep us always. Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and the knowledge of God. How unsearchable HIs judgements and His ways past finding out!
What is the presence of God doing in your life?