My daughter leaves today to get back to University thousands of miles away. I vividly remember this time last year when I was struggling with the decision of whether to send her to University that far away. I needed to hear God. I was not going to send her anywhere away from me without hearing from Him, without an assurance from Him. I did not believe then, and I do not believe now in doing things “by faith” concerning major decisions. Faith only comes into play when you have heard from God. Once you have heard, you believe, speak it and act on it. That is faith. Hence my predicament – I had not heard God. I was keenly aware of many Christians who “drowned” as they attempted to walk on water without hearing the instruction to do so. All because they were taught to do it “by faith”. They had not heard God, therefore He was not bound to take care of them, period.
I agonized over the decision for a long time and delayed it for as long as I could – I did’nt want her to go away from home and yet I wanted her to get a good education. This until God spoke to me from Mark 12:26 – “I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” As I meditated on this verse of Scripture, I suddenly realised that the same God who was God to me over the length of my life had just promised me that He would be God to my daughters and to their children after them. While Abraham lived and even after his passing, the God of Abraham was God to Isaac. While Isaac lived and even after his passing, the God of Isaac was God to Jacob. In similar manner, the God who watched over me, protected me, taught me, helped me, healed me, saved me, delivered me, strengthened me, built me, empowered me and worked through me, would do the same for my children. The God who was my provider, healer, shepherd, ever present help, refuge, strength, Saviour, Lord, Master, deliverer, Father, Comforter and Teacher would manifest Himself in similar manner to my children.
That was all I needed to hear. We paid her fees and sent her away to University. This was last year. God took good care of her the whole of last year; He looked after her as the apple of His eye.
That is all you need to hear too. The same God, who has been your God, will be God to your children and their children after them. Seek to hear God in your situation; one Word from Him can change the way you handle your present and your future.
Well, she leaves tonight after spending 2 months with us on her summer break. I awoke from a good night’s sleep this morning with the phrase of this song playing in my mind – “Let go, my soul and trust in Him; the waves and wind still know his name”. It is from the song “It is well”. I knew immediately that God was preparing me to release her once again. The wind and waves STILL know His name. Every wind and wave that may come my daughter’s way will STILL be calmed at the name of Jesus. John says ” the light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not comprehend it.” Before darkness could comprehend what was happening, it was swallowed up by light. As I spent time in His presence, He was speaking to me and showing me specific verses of Scripture that speak of how He would take care of my children. I would like to share them with you today for I know in my spirit that this will enable you to enter into a place of rest in God concerning your children. Many are worried about their children and specifically about how they will fare in this wicked world; some are worried about their future, their studies, their marriages and the choices they will make. Some have children who are handicapped intellectually or are handicapped physically and are worried about who will take care of their children in the future.
Well, this message is specifically for you.
God, who has been God to you, is perfectly able to be God to your children and to their children after them. He never changes, He is the same yesterday, today and forever. Let these verses of Scripture get deep into your spirit as you meditate on them so that you will forever be at rest concerning your children.
- Genesis 17:7 – “And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you.“
- Deuteronomy 1:39 – “‘Moreover your little ones and your children, who you say will be victims, who today have no knowledge of good and evil, they shall go in there; to them I will give it, and they shall possess it.“
- Isaiah 54:13 – “All your children shall be taught by the Lord, And great shall be the peace of your children.“
- Isaiah 59:21 – ““As for Me,” says the Lord, “this is My covenant with them: My Spirit who is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth, shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your descendants, nor from the mouth of your descendants’ descendants,” says the Lord, “from this time and forevermore.””
- Isaiah 44:3-5 – “For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring; They will spring up among the grass Like willows by the watercourses.’ One will say, ‘I am the Lord’s’; Another will call himself by the name of Jacob; Another will write with his hand, ‘The Lord’s,’ And name himself by the name of Israel.“
- Mark 12:26 – “I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.”
- Hebrews 8:10,11 – “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 11 None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them.
You will be able to find more verses of Scripture that speak of the blessing that your children will receive. Look them up and meditate on them until they enter your spirit.
So we will go to the airport to send her off this evening. While the world seems hell-bent on creating more and more conflict and hurtling towards self-destruction and I see my daughter pass out of sight beyond the Immigration counter and walk out into that wicked world, I have the peace that surpasses understanding, the peace of Jesus who said “My peace I give unto you”, knowing that my daughter will face this world and overcome it for greater is He that is in her, than He that is in the world. She will be a champion, for my God is her God and the Spirit of God is upon her.
All this, simply because I heard God.
Your children too, will make it, they will enter their promised land, His Spirit will be upon them, they will be taught by the Lord, His word will be in their mouths, they will be blessed, they will know God and will overcome the world, for your God is their God too.
The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is our God.