We know that Jesus ascended to heaven 40 days after he had been raised from the dead. During these 40 days between the resurrection and the ascension, Jesus appeared to his disciples and taught them about the kingdom of God (Acts 1). Ten days after the ascension, the Holy Spirit was poured out upon the disciples on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2).
What exactly happened between the Ascension and Pentecost?
1. Jesus took His place at the Father’s right hand. Acts 2:32
2. Jesus received all authority in heaven and on earth. Matt 28:18
3. Jesus was bestowed a name that is above every name. Phil 2:9-11
4. Jesus received the keys of Hell and of death. Rev 1:18
5. Jesus received the Holy Spirit and the right to pour out the Spirit upon all flesh. Acts 2:33
6. Jesus became a great high priest and mediator of a new covenant. Heb 4:14, 8:6
7. Jesus began to rule all things. 1 Cor 15:25 , Rev 1:5
8. Jesus became the Head of the church. Eph 1:22
This Jesus is living in you and in me – we are now his dwelling place. He takes possession of us through the Holy Spirit and we become the habitation of God. We are his body and He lives in us, speaks through us, fellowships with us, continues His ministry through us and transforms us into His image – until we all reach the measure of the fullness of His own stature.
Oh, what a salvation! What a Saviour! What a God!