In Ephesians 3:19, the love of God is described as that which surpasses knowledge. In other words, it cannot be understood by the mind; it can only be known by the human spirit; it is spiritually discerned and experienced. God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son to save those who believe.
Let us look at some verses of Scripture that speak of the love of God –
1. Ephesians 3:19 “…to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge….”. The love of Christ is beyond our understanding; it must be known and experienced and apprehended by the spirit of man. No amount of study can enable us to understand the love of God. We need God to reveal his love and enable us to experience it. It is only after this experience that we can be filled with all the fullness of God (vs 19).
2. Romans 5:5 ” the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit…”. The love of God has to be received in our spirits. The love of God has been placed in our spirits by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit alone can help us to spiritually comprehend and apprehend the love of God.
3. John 15:9 “As the Father loved me, I also have loved you; abide in my love.” Jesus encourages his disciples to abide in his love – to be conscious of His love for them; to make an effort to remind ourselves that we are loved perfectly with a flawless love.
4. Jude 21 “keep yourselves in the love of God”. This is similar to abiding in the love of Jesus – to be conscious of the love of Jesus.
5. Romans 8:35-39 “…nothing in all creation can separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Paul had such a spiritual understanding and experience of the love of God that he was convinced that nothing in all creation could separate us from God’s love. It is a perfect love, for Jesus said that he loves us just as the Father loved him (John 15:9). Also that the Father loves us to the same extent that He loves Jesus (John 17:23).
Today, let us understand that we are loved by God – with a perfect love; nothing can come in the way of God’s perfect love for us. He loves us to the same extent and with the same passion that He loved Jesus. Anything that tries to come in the way of God’s love will be consumed and taken out of the way. We are held in the mighty force field of God’s love similar to the gravitational pull of the earth. Nothing can snatch us out of His hand. His steadfast love never ceases; it is new today. How great is the love the Father has bestowed upon us that we should be called children of God. The love that was manifested in Christ leaving the glory of Heaven, coming down to earth, taking on human flesh and going to the cross to take our place.
May God continue to open the eyes of our hearts that we may comprehend the width and the length and the depth and the height of the love of Christ and to know this love that surpasses knowledge. Words cannot express this love, they are inadequate; it must be experienced by our spirits.